You can spot Avid Readers pretty easily.
- They are good readers…well of course they are, they read all the time. Being good readers doesn’t often happen when folks don’t read. These folks always have at least one book going.
- They want to read. They are constantly looking for cracks in their time schedule to sneak in some time with their current books.
- They are competent, confident and interested. They pretty much always have a book nearby, so they are learning ALL the TIME. They’re always on the lookout for another good one. “Whatcha readin’?” “Any good?” “Let me write down that title. What’s the author’s name?” They don’t think about being behind or ahead of any other readers. They are growing all the time.
- They have favorite authors and subjects that they like to read.
- They can pretty much tell you what their next book will be after they finish this current one. They have a book waiting for them, or an author or topic or genre to explore.
- They like to talk about books and will with enthusiasm, but they’d rather be reading.
- They’ll keep going in a tough book if it includes information or ideas they find compelling. They’ll put down an easy book that doesn’t address their current curiosity or area of inquiry.
You know Avid Readers. You may BE one. Can you add anything to this list?
Thanks to Rachel Sian for her lovely photo, Reading. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelsian/274158994/)