Here at Unite for Literacy we are constantly being asked the following question, ‘Hey, you folks have created a library of free books for people all over the world who are learning to read. So, you’re a non-profit, right?”
Well, actually, no. In fact, we are what is called a “social enterprise.”
A social enterprise is an organization that applies commercial strategies to maximize improvements in human and environmental well-being, rather than maximizing profits for external shareholders. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_enterprise).
This means that while we are working to make a difference in the world, unlike most non-profits (non-governmental organizations) that focus on particular populations or places, our work seeks to serve the entire world. Instead of focusing on one language or cultural group, we seek to impact literacy for speakers of all 6800 languages.
- Building an online library for new readers, aptly named
The Wondrously Infinite Global Library
which we describe as
For Everyone – For Free – Forever
- Publishing narrated picture books to go into said library for new readers of English
- Translating each book in up to 15 world and indigenous American languages
- Engaging fluent native speakers for narrating our books in those languages
- Distributing those books through mobile networks and the Internet, thus currently creating Picture Book Abundance for nearly 3 Billion people worldwide.
Unite for Literacy DOES partner with non-profit organizations, like museums, historical sites, national parks, performance groups, zoos, and the like. Once we “unite”, together we seek sponsors that will underwrite the creation and library publication of picture books, for the good of the world’s children. Those books in turn showcase the expertise of the institution, and carry their missions to the world by way of our online library. Our sponsors get clear recognition for their essential roles as well. So,
- Do you or an organization you represent have a socially positive mission or a need to “get the word out” to families with small children, or to others who are new readers?
- Are you looking for a new partner or project to garner the attention of potential sponsors?
- Are you a company or organization seeking to engage in “cause marketing” around the globe?
Then you might take a look at Unite for Literacy, a social enterprise prepared to partner with individuals, organizations, and agencies to do something special for new readers everywhere.